Monday, October 30

how i rate books


It occurred to me during this series, about mid-way through, that I really should share my "system" for how I rate books. I've begun sharing more and more books here over the last few months and have plans to share more books as I complete them, as well as some favorites on my shelf. But I've never shared how I rate my books and what I mean when I give a book a star rating. Everyone has their own way of rating books and when you learn about each person's so-called method, it can really help you to understand how and why a book got its rating and review. I really should have shared this awhile back, but it seriously just dawned on me in the middle of this series and as I was realizing that I was sharing quite a few bookish ramblings here.

Firstly, let me say that I read for fun. Period. I read for enjoyment, delight, escapism, to be immersed in a story.

Secondly, I believe reading should be lighthearted. For that reason, I do not give myself grand expectations with numbers, nor do I push myself to read as fast as I can. I believe stories should be savoured and reading should not cause stress.

Thirdly, I have heard some readers say that they listen to audiobooks on 2x the speed, that they push through books they're not really loving, etc. For me, reading is not about trying to read as much as fast as I can. That way of doing things doesn’t mesh with me.

Fourth, I rate my books on whether or not I've enjoyed them. I also consider the content. I am not a book critic, so I don’t focus on the writing style, etc. Even if a book didn’t have the “best” writing, etc., if I loved it, I still give a high rating. Sometimes those things play into my rating, but only as add-ons to my opinion already. It’s more about my personal experience with the book.

Finally...I do give most of my reads a 4- or 5-star rating. And that's simply because if I'm not loving a book, I don't continue reading it. That's something I feel very strongly about because I spent too many years pushing through books that I really just hated. So with that said, here's how I rate my books:

⭐: 
I honestly hated this book and more than likely, I gave it away or tossed it, depending on the contents and how horrible it was.

⭐⭐:
 I really did not enjoy this book, but I didn't quite hate it. It's probably not living on my shelves anymore.
 
⭐⭐⭐: 
This book was okay. It had things that I enjoyed, but I probably won't read it again.

⭐⭐⭐⭐:
 I really liked this book...so close to loving it, but something(s) held me back. Still a keeper and would recommend it.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐: 
I absolutely loved this book! It's more than likely on my favorites list and a definite re-read. A for-sure recommendation to others. This is a book I can't stop thinking about!


Now you have a bit better idea as to how I rate my books. Everyone has their own method, but this is just how I do it. I hope this helps my reviews make a bit more sense as I share about books here in this cozy space.

Happy reading, friends!