Happy weekend, friends!
It's hard to believe that it is the second weekend in October already! In our home, we have been enjoying the goodness of autumn in many ways...this past week, I began my annual autumn bread baking (more on that soon!) and we've been enjoying lighting candles in the evenings, having our soup and bread Sundays, savouring warm drinks at night, and wearing all our coziest clothing. A few weeks ago, my mom, sister and I took a drive through the countryside and just took in all the beautiful nature that there is there. Open spaces, not too many people, plenty of trees and a beautiful sunset. We stopped by one of my favorite fields along the way and the last time we were there was in early August and it was green as green can be, and plenty lush too. But now, it's golden and almost twinkles when the sunlight hits it. Autumn is totally here!
Another one of the ways we've been enjoying the season is to settle in when evening comes and watch a few our favorite TV shows. This is a nice way for us to quiet down for the night and get ready for bed. And for today's feature post I wanted to share some of our favorites.
The first one I have to mention is Gilmore Girls. My mom and I love this show to bits! We have all the episodes memorized and each own a number of sweatshirts and T-shirts and mugs with mentions of the show. You could say we're slightly obsessed...okay, maybe it's more than slightly. Every autumn we both start the series over again from the start and watch it straight through during the cozy months. Whilst there isn't a Halloween episode, there is a Thanksgiving episode which is hands-down one of my personal favorites. And every time I watch any bit of the series, I find myself wishing so much that I lived in Stars Hollow. (For more, visit my post HERE.)
Call the Midwife is a favorite of mine and one that I only began watching last autumn. There's just something about this show that I love...really a lot of things. I love the historical aspect and the tight-knit community and circle of friends. I love the way it emphasizes beauty and goodness in what was a hard time for people as they recovered and got their lives back in order after the war. I love the funny bits and characters that you come to love and value so much. And I love that it so wonderfully depicts a time when people were genuinely concerned about caring for one another and not everything was about money or status. For seasonal enjoyment, their Christmas specials are some of the best.
The Middle is one that my mom, sister and I dearly love. It's literally one that we watch over and over again and never get tired of. The Heck family is nutty and quirky and oftentimes totally chaotic and about to unravel, but so many of their antics are relatable. One thing I love most is that each of the nine seasons has Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes which you can bet we watch every single year. They're probably my favorites from the entire series! (For more, visit my post HERE.)
A few other family favorites include:
7th Heaven which has a fun Halloween episode in season one and Thanksgiving and Christmas episodes throughout the series (For more, visit my post HERE).
Reba which has one of the funniest Halloween episodes I've ever seen. The first time we watched it we cracked up so hard!
Home Improvement which also has hilarious Halloween and Christmas episodes, and maybe Thanksgiving ones too...I forget because it's been a while since I watched them. This is another favorite from my younger years.
Heartland doesn't have seasonal episodes, except for a special Christmas movie, but it one of the coziest shows out there. The scenery in the show, as well as the homey scenes around the dinner table or fireplace, make me want to visit the ranch and stay awhile. (For more, visit my post HERE.)
Downton Abbey is also such a fun one to watch when it's cold outside with a cup of something hot whilst you're curled under a blanket. I first watched this show in the middle of winter and somehow, I always associate it with that time of year.
Merlin is one that my sister and I watched together several years ago. The medieval time period and darker lighting in the show make it the perfect autumn or winter show to binge-watch. The same goes for one of my sister's favorites, Wolfblood. It's about a group of teenagers in high school as they deal with a couple of them being wolfbloods...which means they have the ability to turn into werewolves. She's watched it for years and it always seems like such an October show.
We also enjoy Murder, She Wrote for a bit of a mystery flair as well as Blue Bloods which not only offers drama and crime-solving but plenty of good, close family relationships. Signed, Sealed, Delivered is yet another favorite as it follows the Postables...basically, post office works who solve mysteries involving lost mail. It's one of the most heartwarming shows I've ever seen and the characters will soon become dear favorites as you learn about each one's incredibly quirky, odd ways, which, of course, only makes you love them more.
And finally, when I am craving a show that will make the old-fashioned part of my delightfully happy, my favorites are Litle House on the Prairie, Road to Avonlea, Lark Rise to Candleford (which I have just begun), and The Waltons. Each one offers a bit of a different side of old-fashioned charm and every one is unique, but they are all wonderfully delightful and fun to watch. And somehow they just feel extra cozy to me...but maybe I'm just weird like that.
These are the shows that are the coziest to us. Each one for its uniqueness and charm and delight. One of our favorite ways to spend an autumn evening, after the sun sets earlier than before, is to settle in for an hour or so of fun TV watching and these are hands-down, without a doubt, the shows you'll find us watching.
I hope that you maybe found a new recommendation or two to try out this autumn. I'd love to hear your favorite cozy shows...so please, as always, share below!
Have a lovely Saturday!
♥
