Tuesday, October 26

the bits & bobs of a book girl's life...




Hello, fellow book lovers! 

I am back yet again with another bookish post...these are seriously the most fun to write and I love getting to share about one of my most favorite things in the world. Since this is the last week of October and therefore, the final week of this October series, I am going to post on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, that way I can end on Halloween. I invite you to pour a cup of something warm and comforting and get comfy as we chat about some more bookish things...

Are you ready?

What books do you remember reading that kick-started your bookworm habit?

The very first books I remember reading myself are the Junie B. Jones and Amelia Bedelia books. I read these when I was six years old and I just devoured them. We still have these series in our collection and it's fun to look back on the first books that introduced me to the reading life.

What genre, or genres, do you normally choose?

My go-to genres are contemporary (clean) romance, magical realism, and village/small town series...I'm not sure what the exact "genre" would be called. I've only read fiction for a few years now after a decade of heavy nonfiction reads, so I still feel like I'm discovering what books I like. I do know that I would like to explore some older books next year, possibly a classic or two, and also some historical fiction. I do also love a cozy mystery...nothing that's going to scare me so bad I can't sleep. Hee!

Do you eat while you read, and if so, what exactly?

Absolutely not. I don't know why, but eating and reading just don't seem like they go together for me. A cup of tea or hot chocolate...or just a mason jar of water...that's more my thing when reading.

Were there any least favorite reads?

In the world of fiction, I would say the worst book I read was an Aurora Teagarden mystery called A Fool and His Honey which I read over the summer. It was dreadful and not well written in the least. In the world of nonfiction...well, how long do you have? My tastes in nonfiction have changed dramatically over the last few years...see this post for my favorites.

As you're a bookworm, what are you currently reading? How's it getting on for you?

The book I've got going at the moment is Sarah Addison Allen's First Frost. I read it last year and absolutely fell in love with it. It takes place during the last week of October, so this is literally the perfect time to be reading it! And I'm getting to love it all over again!

Do you have a liking to indie or traditional books?

Honestly, I don't mind either. I have noticed that many of my favorite authors have switched over to independent publishing over the last few years, so that does tend to be what I buy if it's a new book.

 Do you have a large bookshelf, or do you plan to?

I admit that my bedroom here at Shady Cottage has huge bookshelf space...and I am very thankful for that. In our old house, I had a couple shelves in my room which is where I kept my absolute favorites. All my other books were kept in my closet, under my bed, or in our attic in boxes. 

I've been pondering the idea of sharing a bookshelf tour and wonder if you all would like that? If so, would you prefer a blog post with photos or a video tour? I'd appreciate your thoughts here!

What is your favorite book series?

I'm loving Miss Read's Fairacre Novels series which I just began recently. Considering I haven't read many series in their entirety yet, I've just tiptoed into several of them, I don't have a huge list to go from. But Miss Read's series is becoming a favorite very quickly.

What is your favorite book of all time?

I couldn't pick just one? Really, tell me any bibliophile who could?!?! If you want to see some of my favorites, I keep an updated list here.

How do you choose your next read?

I am sort of in-between just winging it and going with my mood and then making a plan. I do select a few books that I wish to read at the beginning of each season and month, and then I also leave room for on-the-whim choices that look good at the moment.

How do you decide your book ratings?

This is how I rate books...and the meaning behind each raring...

***** If I give a book 5 stars, for me that means that I really loved it and would most definitely read it again. A real all-time favorite.

**** Four stars mean that I liked it a lot and will read it again. Close to favorite, but not quite.

*** Three stars mean that it was just okay but I probably won't read it again. It stays on my shelf, though.

** Two stars mean that it was pretty close to awful, but not quite. Definitely not a reread and probably getting donated.

* One star means that it was horrible and one of the worst books ever. For me, this means that more than likely it went into the garbage- not even worth passing onto Goodwill for someone else to read.

Do you DNF or finish all the way?

I have no shame in admitting that if I do not like a book, I will not finish it. I spent too many years reading books that I didn't really enjoy and there are too many books that appeal to me to read anything that I don't love. This is the reason why most of my books get a four or five-star rating...I really don't read anything where I would need to give a lesser rating.

 Would you rather be a librarian or a bookseller?

Honestly, either one sounds like oodles of fun. But only in a small town or village setting...and it would have to be an independently-owned and run bookshop if I was going to work in one. I have no interest in working in a large chain corporation. But with those conditions, I would say either one and most happily, too.


What are some of your favorite book covers?

The photo above shows some covers that I think are the most beautiful. I prefer book covers with color and an artsy design as opposed to a cover with real humans on them. Those are never my favorite. The ones above are all different in style and design, but they all have my favorite things...color!, art and not photography and they all look incredibly pretty.

What are your favorite book settings?

I realized recently that all my favorite books take place in small towns or villages or in places that I'd love to visit or could see myself living. Quaint and charming and a bit quirky.

Do you reread books?

Absolutely. Yes. If you love a book, why only read it once?!?!

What book do you wish had a sequel?

I really wished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society had a sequel; this book really stood out to me and I wanted it to go on and on.

Do you read seasonally?

Yes, oh yes. I select a few seasonal reads for each month, holiday, etc. And that is seriously one of the most fun things about reading.

Do you have a special reading place?

Reading must take place in a cozy place, in my humble opinion. For me, that is either my bed with fluffy pillows and a warm comforter or in my comfy chair with feet either propped up on the ottoman or tucked beside me. I prefer softer lighting and not such bright white light...usually a few lamps and fairy lights, too, of course.


How do you mark your pages?

While I will be the first to admit that I sometimes fold down the top corner of my pages or stick a Kleenex or piece of scrap paper to mark my pages, most of the time I use a bookmark. And, yes, I do collect them. Some are ones that I have made, which reminds me that I want to make some new ones soon, and others are from shops, travels, gifts, etc. I do love a pretty bookmark. {{smiles}} I keep them in a tea tin on my bookshelf.

Do you write in books?

Sometimes, yes. If I see a quote or excerpt that I really love, I will underline in my books. Usually with pencil nowadays and very lightly.

How long does it take you to read a book?

It really depends...on my mood and mindset, how long the book is, how much time I spend reading each day and what else I'm spending my time on. Typically, an average length book takes me about a week, give or take a day or two.

Do you read newspapers?

No, sadly newspapers aren't really common around where I live, and the ones that are available are just full of news which I try to avoid.

Do you read magazines?

Indeed, I do. The four I always subscribe to and read (with much delight) are Bella Grace, Willow and Sage, Victoria and Tea Time. These all bring me such happiness and I love it when a new issue comes out!


Do you read in bed?

Oh, yes. The above photo shows my book basket which I shared about in this post. I keep the books that I hope to read during the month in here as well as a few extra bookmarks...I love having these things all in one place and on my bedside table. Easy to get to and also seeing them makes me want to read more!

Do you read in the car?

I absolutely cannot read in a moving car, or boat, or plane, or train. I tend to be very motion sick if I read while moving. I even have to be careful not to read too many billboards or street signs and can't look at my phone too much either. This was especially bad when I was younger, but I don't take any chances now either. I'd rather listen to music, have a conversation, or just admire the scenery when in a car.

Are you a fast or slow reader?

This depends on the book. It can depend on if I'm really into a story or if the story is written in a slower way. I can speed through some books and others take longer.

Reading outside or inside?

Mostly indoors, simply because when I'm outside I'm either doing something or sitting under the trees having a chat with my mom and sister.

Series or standalone?

I love series more probably. Though some of my favorite books are standalone...but I do so dearly wish they were made into a series.

What are your top five books this year?

In no particular order, from 2021, so far, here are my top five favorites...

~ The Tale of Hill Top Farm 
~ Pilgrim's Inn
~ Village School
~ A Bear Called Paddington
~ Brambly Hedge stories

What is your favorite book to movie adaption?

I adore The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. While I love other literary movies I haven't read the books yet, but this one I loved both the book and movie.

How do you arrange your bookshelves?

My bookshelves are arranged by author then series. I have a special shelf for mystery books and another one for children's literature as well as a shelf for Amish fiction...complete with two dolls from Lancaster County. My cookbooks live on a bookshelf all their own, and my nonfiction is also in a separate section.

Do you prefer heavier or lighter topics?

Light topics, hands down. I do not like reading heavy books. For me, that takes away the pleasure of reading and makes it a burden and that's not why I read. I don't mind if a book has something heavy in it as a sub-topic, but I won't read it if that's the main topic.

Who are your favorite authors?

I love books by Jan Karon, Miss Read, Katherine Reay, Sarah Addison Allen, Susan Wittig Albert, Liz Johnson, Kara Isaac, and Courtney Walsh.

Do you prefer pre-owned or new books?

I love both! They both have their charm and excitement. New books are exciting because they are usually just-released titles, and pre-pwned books already come with a history and I love how they already feel worn and loved and comfortable.

Hardcover or paperback?

In general, I prefer paperback, though some memoirs or nonfiction are lovely in hardcover. For fiction reading, though, I prefer the lightness of a paperback. It's easier to hold in bed, easier to carry around and you can fit more in your shelf, too. {{winks}} Oh, and cookbooks are so much better in hardcover!

Reading in summer or winter?

Either. I love reading all times of year.

E-book, print edition, or audiobook?

Only printed books for me. I have some quite perhaps controversial or slightly offensive opinions on e-books and audiobooks which I shall keep to myself. Hee! Printed books feel so good in my hands and have a comforting scent within their pages and they look gorgeous on shelves, tables, in baskets, wherever!

Collecting or clearing out?

Considering that I am in no way a minimalist and despise that trend, I am all for collecting books...and other things, too. One can never have too many books, that's something I firmly believe. 

Internet or bookshop?

Because we have no other bookshops near us besides Barnes and Noble, which is just okay, I'd say the internet. I do love the library used book shop in our town, though. But most of our books are bought online from secondhand shops.

Backlist or new publications?

Most of the books I read are older; very few are new publications. So mostly backlist titles...I pretty much only read new publications from authors I already know I love.


......................................................................................................................................................................

I invite you to share your answers to these questions, too! Share in the comments below or on your own blog! Be sure to let me know if you make your own blog post...

May your Tuesday be a beauty!