Sunday, July 19

a daybook for july


Over the many years I've been blogging, I've done variations of this daybook sort of post, sometimes monthly, other times seasonally. It is one of my favorite posts to read from others and a very enjoyable one to write as well. So, alas, here I am, bringing it back to my little cozy corner. I hope you enjoy! ♥

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

outside my window

Deep summertime is well and truly here. Lush, rich, vibrant, deep green is literally everywhere I look outside. The grass, the trees. the bushes and shrubs, the herbs in our garden. Green and more green...I'm not complaining, though, as deep summer green is one of my favorite colors. And one of the only things I actually like about summer. Ha! Pops of pink peek through in our garden thanks to my mom's Mother's Day hydrangea, along with hues of bright orange coming from our daylilies, which are both thriving. Oh, and the basil! It's growing like crazy! Needless to say, we're enjoying lots of basil in our meals...my goodness, the scent. Blissful! Lightning bugs in the evenings and squirrels running in the trees in the morning and lots of rain, which makes me so happy, and weather so hot and humid you feel incredibly gross and sticky just going to get the mail. Ah, summertime.

i am thinking

Of autumn and cooler weather and crisp temps and cozy clothing...am I ashamed to admit this? Absolutely not! {{winks}} Seriously, though, my "autumn fever" has set in and I am looking forward to being able to go outside without getting attacked by countless mosquitoes and dripping with sweat after just five minutes.

i am thankful for

My mom, sister, and our fur babies. Our home and little corner of the world. Home cooking and getting to make meals for my dear family. Rain and cloudy days and air conditioning. Iced tea and berry bread pudding and music that makes me feel alive.

from the kitchen

My mom recently made Susan Branch's bread pudding from her Summer Book. She exchanged the sugar (1 cup, I think) to just 1/4 cup honey...all that sugar honestly gets ridiculous. It was beyond delicious, especially with whipped cream. Bread pudding and fruity desserts have never been something I crave or would choose when given a choice. Until now. This recipe is addictive! I also made, for the first time ever, a tomato pie. This is an old, traditional Southern dish that I've never made before. A few years ago, my sister mentioned it and then we forgot about it again...this past week, we remembered, I made it, we ate it, and we loved it. So summery and once again, I got to use my garden-fresh basil. {{smiles}}

i am creating

Still crocheting granny squares, sewing quilt blocks, started a new book journal. Little, ordinary things that aren't so little or ordinary.

i am wearing

Black-ish/dark navy-ish legging-capris with a colorful floral print, a black cami under a hot pink tank with lace details, hair up in a clip (too dang hot to wear it down), and my favorite pair of sandals.

in my cup

A new-to-us herbal tea flavor from Yogi Tea called "berry cherry". Make it iced and add a splash (or two!) of half and half, and take a sip...ah, perfection.

i am reading

I've been really struggling with reading lately, but I just finished Gladys Taber's Stillmeadow Album this week. It's a photo album of sorts showcasing Taber's home, Stillmeadow, along with some of her reflection on her home and life there. It was absolutely delightful, as is everything I've read from her so far. She's a true favorite of mine, a kindred spirit sort of writer. I'm so thankful for her words.

i am listening to

Lots of Celtic/Irish music and 90s-2000s country favorites (I have a playlist that I like as I'm quite picky) and other songs that were the soundtrack of my childhood and teen years. My most played songs right now are: Irresistible (One Direction); Beautiful Soul (Jesse McCartney); That's the Way (Jo Dee Messina); Will Ye Go, Lassie, Go (Celtic Thunder); Sunday in the South (Shenandoah with Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan); and Hometown Girl (Josh Turner).

i am watching

I recently purchased a boxed set of the first 10 seasons of Vera. So I'm slowly making my way through them for a rewatch. I haven't watched the first few seasons in probably 3 years or so, so I forget lots of the storylines. Fun!

i am hoping

That the second half of summer isn't too hot. To return to my crocheting and quilting projects, as well as to get back into reading...I miss all of these things.

i am hearing

The sound of the air conditioner kicking on, cats running and playing with each other, crickets outside (even though the windows, their song is quite loud), my playlist in the background.

around the house

Organizing bookshelves and our pantry; tidying up craft supplies, watering plants each evening when it's hasn't rained.

one of my favorite things

At the moment, my favorite thing is iced creamy tea...which I mentioned above. So many flavor options and oh so refreshing!

word collecting

A beautiful thing is never perfect. (Unknown)

How many things does this apply to? I can't begin to number them, but how true it is.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

What's happening in your corner of the world?