Banana bread is one of those quintessential comfort foods. It isn't only comforting to eat a warm, thick slice but it's also incredibly comforting to mix up the batter and to smell the delicious scents as it bakes in the oven. You really can't beat homemade banana bread...especially with cinnamon and chopped nuts!
We've had a recipe from an old friend that has been our go-to since I was very little. However, it uses way too much sugar, and I've been tweaking our favorite recipes as well as finding new favorites so that they are healthier. We still want to be able to enjoy treats and goodies but in ways that are healthier. Not only am I looking to cut down the sugar, but I also only use dates, maple syrup, honey, and coconut sugar as sweeteners these days. That's just a personal preference based on things I've learned over the last wee while. And I've been so very excited with the results, as I've found so many new favorite ways to bake yummy treats. Not only that but we feel better too not eating refined sugars and such. Everyone has to study and learn as much as they can about health, wellness, and nutrition, and do what works for them from there. This is what works for us after years and years of studying and learning...and of continuing to do so still.
Anyway, enough about that.
This banana bread recipe is just so delicious! I came across the base recipe online a few years back and tweaked it quite a bit to it my family's preferences. I cut the sugar down by three-quarters, and I use coconut sugar instead of regular sugar. And we love cinnamon and lots of chopped nuts in our banana bread. My favorite are pecans but walnuts work well, too. And finally, this bread goes really well with a nice hot steaming cup of herbal tea. Just sayin'.
Happy baking!
Nourishing Banana Bread
4-5 very ripe, spotty bananas, mashed
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup whole milk
1 tsp. raw apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts, or a combination of both)
In a large mixing bowl, add the mashed bananas, melted butter, coconut sugar, vanilla, milk, and vinegar. Stir to combine well. Then add in the salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and flour. Stir to combine well again. Make sure there are no bits of flour on the bottom of the bowl. Fold in the chopped pecans.
Pour into a greased loaf tin and bake at 350*F for 1 hour, or until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool in pan for about 10 minutes, before turning out on to a cooling rack or plate. Cool a bit longer before slicing. Enjoy warm out of the oven, and over the next few days, too! Best with a cup of hot herbal tea!
What is one of your favorite homemade breads to bake?