Thursday, March 7

the cottage library ♥ ivy lane


Dear reader friends, 

I am ever so delighted to share an absolutely lovely book with you all today...

Every now and then, I come across a book that draws me in from the very first page, and I just know that I'm in for a real treat. This was such a book. I had never read a book by author, Cathy Bramley, before, but had seen her books floating around on a few Instagram accounts that I follow. I trust the opinions of those readers and so I decided to pick one up for myself. And how glad I am that I finally did!

Ivy Lane tells the story of a young woman called Tilly. The book is divided into four sections: spring, summer, autumn, and winter. It was originally published as four e-books and then all the stories were compiled into one printed physical book. The story begins right before springtime begins, as Tilly has recently moved to a new town as she needs a fresh start after experiencing heartbreak. She decided to join the local allotment and finds herself with half a plot all to herself...eventually complete with a potting shed and all...just to herself. Soon, she discovers a whole world at Ivy Lane and over the course of the seasons, as she learns about gardening and having a patch of earth to grow her own food, she gets far more than just fresh fruits, veggies and herbs to make her life more abundant. She discovers a whole gaggle of new friends...truly her new family. As the seasons march on, she becomes more and more at home at Ivy Lane. She finds herself healing slowly and gently as she tends to her little garden patch and making friends along the way.  

I truly cannot think of a better book to read in the springtime, as the earth begins to wake up from her winter slumber and as sprouts begin popping up from the hardened ground and buds form on bushes and leaves begin to fill out the trees once again. I found my heart and soul refreshed, comforted, healed, charmed, and just delighted in every way possible whilst reading this book. Tilly and her new friend Gemma were such a sweet couple of gals to get to hang out with in the pages of this book, as well as all the other quirky and charming fellow allotment members. 

I found myself really, really wishing I could join the family of friends at Ivy Lane and have my own little patch to grow fresh fruits and veggies and herbs on, pausing to take a break in my cute little potting shed all decorated with bunting and teacups and books and postcards with art adorning them hanging on the wall and sweet curtains on the window. Yes, that sounds like bliss to me...aahhh.

Cathy Bramley's website says she is a writer of "lighthearted romantic fiction". And that about perfectly describes this book, I'd say. I am already looking forward to my next Bramley book, I can tell you that much!

I love, love, loved Ivy Lane. Every single thing about it...the characters, the setting, the story, the author's writing style, how it made me feel. It was just such a wonderful story! If you want a book that will warm your heart, restore your faith in humanity, give you hope and all the good feelings...then, perhaps you should pick up Ivy Lane. It was such a comforting, gentle, charming read... 

and seeing as how it's set on an allotment and there's lots of gardening talk, I'd say spring is a perfect time to pick it up!


What have you recently read that you just absolutely adored?