Tuesday, May 26

From My Inglenook ♥ May Musings







for the beauty of the earth

Yesterday was the unofficial start of summer with Memorial Day. And it was also the first day that truly felt and smelled of summer. The air just had "that" feel that only comes when summer arrives. When we went out for a drive through the city after dark, it just smelled so fresh outside, just the way a summer eve should. It was also the first time I turned my ceiling fan on all day this season. The first roses of summer have been in full bloom these last few days. They are just gorgeous and the biggest that I ever did see! The honeysuckle that grows against our back fence and next to a giant oak tree has been growing in its beautifully wild and free way. The sound of lawnmowers on Saturday mornings fill the air and birdsong greets me each morning at around 6 am sharp. It's such a magnificent sound!

 Finally, on Saturday we had some ferociously fierce winds and one of our trees in the front garden fell down. The roots even came up from the ground! It was quite a sight to see, and thankfully it decided to fall away from our house. Our neighbors kindly chopped it up and cleared it away for us since my dad is unable to do any sort of heavy work until at least August with his shoulder. They now have a good start to their firewood collection for next winter!  

musical treasures

The High Kings. The High Kings. And more of The High Kings. With a bit of Celtic Thunder's old stuff thrown in for good measure. (I don't much care for their group since they can't seem to keep a steady group of stable members anymore. I'm afraid their best days are behind them, sadly.) Anywho, I've been enjoying The High Kings music, as always, and it is often the soundtrack to my writing sessions. When I am in the kitchen, however, I've loved listening to music from Lord of the Rings.  

bookish ramblings

Oh, am I savouring up every bit of my current read! I had started a mystery, and while I was enjoying it, my attention seemed to be elsewhere. One evening, totally casually, I picked up Suzanne Woods Fisher's book, On a Summer's Tide, which is book one in her Three Sisters Island series, and goodness me! It is such a charming, wonderful story. I love the setting of an island off of Maine and the Grayson family is full of some delightful and unique characters. I can't wait to finish it and start book two! (I'll be sharing more on my bookish thoughts soon...as long as the books continue to be delightful!) I've also been pulling out a few books here and there from my shelves to compile a summer reading list...just for fun. More on that soon, as well!

in the world of TV and movies

In the evenings, my mom, sister and I are having the best time watching old seasons of The Amazing Race. I am slightly obsessed with this show and we've probably already watched seven or eight seasons so far! There's a lot more to go, though, which is a good thing. {{smiles}} One of the things I want to enjoy this summer is rewatching some of my favorite TV series, which I've been pondering. I'm really looking forward to returning to some old favorites. Over the weekend, Julia and I also watched Letters to Juliet for the millionth time...it doesn't matter how many times I watch that movie, it's always a favorite and I never tire of it! Ever.

a grateful heart

Almost-summer evenings, watermelon, iced tea, roses growing against the picket fence, comfy sandals, good books, time in the kitchen cooking and baking tasty things, perusing the pages of my cookbook collection, family time and laughing lots.

from my kitchen

Our Memorial Day dinner included homemade pulled pork BBQ, pasta salad with tomatoes, olives and bell peppers, homemade fries with the best dipping sauce, fresh squash and zucchini, and our first watermelon of the season. For dessert, I made a totally non-springy apple spice skillet cake. It may not have been the most seasonal dessert, but good...ness! It tasted so scrumptious! Holy cow! Was it good! The scent of cinnamon and apples with a crumbly topping was just pure bliss {{smiles}}

fashionable fun

Being a bit patriotic for the day, I'm wearing a red and white striped top with ruffle bell sleeves and black shorts, because it's officially shorts season. And of course, my favorite sandals, which are a daily accessory! My hair is pulled up in a messy, frizzy bun, because, well, humid, Southern summertime weather. {{winks}}

home and hearth

I've done a bit of rearranging in my room recently, seeking to make it even cozier. A bit of tidying and vacuuming has been crossed off my list, but of course, dusting and more vacuuming remain there. Also, window and bedding washing need to be done. It'll get done in due time...but honestly, I'm not obsessive about cleaning. I like things to be clean enough and tidy enough to be comfortable and cozy but not obsess over it. Seriously, there are better things to occupy one's time! 

my cup overflows

Summertime in our home means iced tea season. We're currently loving a watermelon strawberry blend that we picked up at the grocery store several months ago. Back when I actually went to the store, to be honest. It's decaf and tastes so refreshing. We make it by the gallon!

these are a few of my favorite things

old episodes of The Amazing Race; my notebooks for jotting down creative ideas, recipes and other ponderings; and this watermelon strawberry iced tea...seriously, it's the best!

crafting and creating

I've got a wee list of sewing projects that I want to begin working on here shortly. Hopefully, I'll set to work on them soon and will be able to share about each one as it gets completed. 

.............................................................................................................................................................

What's going on in your corner of the world, dear friends? Do chat below...

May you have a lovely day filled with sunshine, springtime blossoms and laughter in abundance!