{I have learned that I LOVE short stories for Christmas reading delight.}
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
noticing nature
This autumn we, sadly, have had some of the littlest color we've had in a few years. Where I live the leaves don't turn all kinds of crazy gorgeous colors...they mostly just turn brown and get all crinkly. But some years we do get some stunning color. It just seems as though this year that won't be the case. All is well, though. Nature has her ebbs and flows, and this is just one of those years with less color. We've had some wonderfully delightful rainy days, though, which brings me endless joy. Our front porch is full of pumpkins...we got half of them for just 99 cents on sale! Soon it will be time to begin raking the leaves as we get quite a yard full...perhaps several yards full, as neighbors' leaves tend to blow our direction. And not to forget, it's finally starting to feel like autumn around here. I've worn sweaters and sweatshirts literally just a few times (less than a handful) so far this year, so I'm ready for all the chilly and cold weather. {{smiles}} We had a really chilly Thanksgiving (so, so, so happy about that!), and it's finally time to bring out my winter coat. Ah...cold weather is finally making an appearance!
what i'm listening to
As soon as mid-November arrived, I began listening to my Christmas playlist (see link on the sidebar), and it's been utterly delightful listening to all my old favorites again. I'm very, very picky about my Christmas music, and I pretty much only like songs that feel and sound traditional, classic, and nostalgic. I have very few modern Christmas songs that I enjoy...so no, you won't find me listening to any Mariah Carey or Ariana Grande. Give me all the Johnny Mathis, Andy Williams, Perry Como, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, and Frank Sinatra. I also love the Choir of King's College and the Christmas music they have as I find it beyond gorgeous. I've also been listening to some of my favorite music by One Direction and Celtic Thunder, whom we happily saw in concert this autumn.
bookish ramblings
The tail end of summer and early part of autumn brought along with it quite a miserable reading slump for me. I believe it was due to having read some crummy books (hello to you, Despereaux) shortly before that. I also had quite a hard time finding a book to help get me over that slump. Finally, though, I did read a couple really lovely novels...and now I'm well into my Christmas reading pile. So far, I'm enjoying several of the American Girl Christmas stories, a Susan Branch Christmas book, and a super short but sweet story by Jan Karon. Currently, I've got a book of short stories going, along with a book with 3 novellas in it, and another American Girl Christmas story. So lots of festive reading for me right now!
what i'm watching
My mom, sister, and I are currently watching the final episodes of Blue Bloods every Friday night, which is both fun and melancholic seeing as how this is the final season of a show we all dearly love. I'm also watching the newest season of Shetland each week, and we just finished the first season of the PBS Masterpiece series, The Marlow Murder Club, based on the book series by Robert Thorogood. It wasn't as good as the book as there were some bits left out and whatnot, but it was still very enjoyable and of course, the setting was gorgeous. Finally, I'm watching some Christmas movies here and there...and working on a HUGE list of all my favorites to share with you soon.
what i'm wearing
Christmas sweatshirts and leggings and boots. This has become my typical outfit for this time of year, and I'm not one bit unhappy about it. It's absolutely perfect! ♥
in my mug
Spearmint tea or my nourishing hot cacao...both seem to be my obsessions as of late. And they absolutely must be drunk from festive Christmasy mugs at this time of year. {{smiles}}
creative joys
Last month, I made an Advent calendar gingerbread house for us to enjoy this month. We enjoy dark chocolate, and it seems to be nearly impossible to find storebought Advent calendars with dark chocolate, so I made us our own. And it was completely free...other than purchasing the chocolates, but we found those for a great deal. I'll share pictures of it soon. I've also been making some journals by using old books and I'm a bit obsessed with this whole process as it is so much fun! I've also got a few simple sewing projects I'd like to work on soon...so many ideas!
joyful anticipations
Decorating for Christmas. Holiday baking. Attending a performance of Dicken's A Christmas Carol. Christmas Eve by the twinkly lights of the tree. Christmas Day and our traditional meal and dessert. Driving around to see the lights whilst listening to festive music and drinking hot chocolate. Maybe some snow this winter...pretty please. Watching the Christmas movies I grew up with. Wearing our Christmas sweatshirts...I found us the cutest sweatshirts this year; I'm so excited! Wrapping gifts and filling stockings. Eating the chocolate from our Advent calendar. Cozy Christmas comforts.