Thursday, September 26

S E P T E M B E R ♥ book club gathering & O C T O B E R ♥ book announcement


Oh, dear cozy wallflowers! How delighted I am to be chatting about this book with you all today!

Where to start?

Let me begin by saying that I absolutely loved this book. It was totally different than what I was expecting and yet everything I wanted and needed in a book at the time. I found this story to be enchanting and charming and sweet and captivating. 

Meeting Lucy was, for me, like meeting a kindred spirit character. That doesn't happen too often for me when I read a book, but it did with Lucy. I just really loved her gentle spirit and kindness towards everyone, but especially towards Bunty, the spunky 90-something woman living next door to her cottage, as well as her compassion and understanding and listening ear towards Freya, the good-hearted, but a bit confused, teenage girl in the village. Lucy found herself a little close-knit circle of friends that all supported each other and were a sort of family to one another, and that warmed my heart to no end.
 
Bunty was a firecracker of a character. She cracked me up on more than one occasion. And oh my goodness, her pet snake, Stanley! It's a wonder I didn't have nightmares after reading about him lying all coiled up on her windowsill. Eek! Her stories of World War II were part of what grabbed my attention as I do love stories from the homefront during the war. Her storytelling brought things to life for Lucy, and for me, too. I loved her spunk and pizazz and sharp mind of her own. She is one of the reasons why I, along with so many others, love books with "old lady characters". She was a hoot! 

And finally, I loved the relationship between Lucy and Bunty. It started out a tad bit rocky, but much sooner than I expected, it turned to a nice warm friendship of them caring for each other, Lucy learning from Bunty, Bunty getting a daily dose of sunshine with Lucy's visits, especially when her dog, Hamish came along. I especially really appreciated this relationship because it showed that friendship knows no age boundaries. The old and young can very well be friends with each other, and oftentimes, those relationships are some of the sweetest and richest, because each one brings something really special to the other. And that was my most favorite aspect of this novel. 

This book did have a bit of romance and such, and I did like Sam, the male love interest to our Lucy. I appreciated how their friendship grew slowly and sweetly and then a romantic relationship took time to evolve from that. The story took place over six months or so, and the relationship took that long to get really established. I don't care for fast, speedy relationships...in real life or in fiction, so it was nice to see a slow, gentle relationship for once.
 
There wasn't a darn thing that I did not enjoy about this book. The characters, as you know, were some of my most favorites that I've met through a story. And the story itself, of Lucy seeking refreshment and rest in a small village by renting a delightful little cottage next to spirited, feisty Bunty with the agreement to look after her and help her as needed, which turned out to be less of her helping Bunty and more of the two of them just becoming friends. The story of Bunty's past with the war and what exactly went on with her back then and all her diary entries (so fun to read!), to the possible removal of an old historical piece in town full of tradition, memories and a rich past...the telephone box, and of how the village came together to keep it and turn it into a village library. This was just my cup of tea...all of it.

Though this was my first ever book to read by Rachael Lucas, it will definitely not be my last. This has become a top favorite book of mine, and I am looking forward to reading more from her.

I also felt that this was the perfect end-of-summer, tip-toe-into-autumn read. It was a cozy read and one that just made me feel good. I admit I was so sad when it ended...but that's how I know it was a really good book. 

 So, fellow book clubbers...
did you enjoy this story as much as I did?
Who were your favorite characters?
What did you enjoy most about this story?
And would you want to live in Little Maudley?
Finally, what is ONE book you would add to their village telephone box library?

Do share with me in the comments!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


For the October book club pick, I have chosen a cozy mystery with loads of autumnal and cozy vibes. I think it's the perfect book for Halloween time and October. Oh, I can't wait to read this with you all!

About the book...

When a guest dies in the B&B she helps her aunts run, a young witch must rely on some good old-fashioned investigating to clear her aunt's name in this magical and charming new cozy mystery.

For four hundred years, the Warren witches have used their magic to quietly help the citizens of the sleepy New England town of Evenfall thrive. There's never been a problem they couldn't handle. But then Constance Graves--a local known for being argumentative and demanding--dies while staying at the bed and breakfast Brynn Warren maintains with her aunts. At first, it seems like an accident...but it soon becomes clear that there's something more sinister at work, and Aunt Nora is shaping up to be the prime suspect.

There's nothing Brynn wants more than to prove Nora's innocence, and it hurts her to know that even two years ago that might have been easier. Brynn, after all, is a witch of the dead--a witch who can commune with ghosts. Ghosts never remember much about their deaths, but Constance might remember something about her life that would help crack the case. But Brynn hasn't used her powers since her husband died, and isn't even sure she still can. Brynn will just have to hope that her aunts' magic and her own investigative skills will lead her to answers--and maybe back to the gift she once thought herself ready to give up forever.

This book may very well be accessible in your local libraries. And if you, like me, prefer to read a copy you own, I have found some great deals on Abe Books (as always), which you can find here. I have also found 2 copies for great prices on Pango Books; you can find those here. Of course, there's always Amazon as well; you can find that here.

We will be gathering to discuss this book on Thursday, October 24th. I will also be announcing November's books (yes, there will be TWO!) a few days before that, with plenty of time for you to grab a copy (of one or both reads) for yourself. 
 
 Do let me know if you'll be reading along! I've wanted to read a cozy mystery in the book club ever since it began, and October is the perfect time! I hope you'll be joining me!

Happy reading, cozy wallflowers!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth! I just wanted to let you know that I'm still reading The Telephone Box Library. So I'll hop in on the discussion once I finish it, hopefully by next week. I will be joining in for October's book club. Thank you for hosting this, the book clubs are really getting me to read a wider variety of books.
    -Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! Take your time...I look forward to hearing your thoughts when you finish reading the book. And I'm delighted that you'll be reading along in October!

      Delete
  2. Hi Elizabeth,
    Well, I *finally* finished The Telephone Box Library. I'm not quite sure why it took me so long to read, but I loved it! I loved the friendship that developed between Lucy and Bunty. I liked how feisty Bunty was, and how she was such a firecracker! I admired how Bunty didn't let Margaret boss her around. It goes to show that autonomy is so important, no matter the age of the person. I really liked Freya, as well. She was like a typical teenager in so many ways, but also a smart and voracious reader who was a key part of turning the telephone box into the library. I think it's so good for books to portray teenage girls as more than just vapid "airhead" types.

    I appreciated how slow and nuanced the relationship between Sam and Lucy was. It was romantic but also built on cerebral attraction rather than just physical attraction. The friendship between Lucy and Mel was fun to read about, too.

    The description of Little Maudley was so vivid. I felt like I was there, living in this charming village of colorful characters. I really noticed how Lucy changed from a city mouse into a country mouse during the story. It's like she was a square peg trying to fit into a round hole in the city, but in Little Maudley, she finally fit.

    Thanks again for another great book to read! I am planning to start "In the Company of Witches" tomorrow, so my commentary on that one will probably be late, as well.
    -Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssa,

      Oh! I am SO glad to hear that you loved this book as much as I did! I agree with everything you said about the story and characters...it is certainly one of my favorites.

      Take your time on reading and sharing your thoughts on "In the Company of Witches"...no pressure. I hope you enjoy it!

      Wishing you a lovely weekend! ♥

      Delete

Thank you for visiting Inkberry Hill Cottage! You are warmly welcome to share in a comment. I love chatting with kindred spirits about all things cozy, homey, and delightful!

Thank you for being here! ♥ May you notice magical moments in the nooks and crannies and tiniest pieces of your day!