Seeing as yesterday was Valentine's Day, I began pondering last week what kind of special dessert I wanted to make for the day. Something festive and perhaps red and definitely tasty. I also knew that I wanted something with not much sugar and no dairy. Ah, our favorite icebox cake, it was!
Last Spring I made a similar recipe to this one and we all loved it so much. (Everyone except my dad, as he does not like anything even slightly healthy, nor does he eat homecooking. Yes, you read that right!) When I made it on Tuesday afternoon, I made a few revisions and added vegan dark chocolate chips, because, well, it was going to be Valentine's Day. Oh my, was it heavenly! It really tasted just like a chocolate covered strawberry.
You can add blueberries to this cake if you want a patriotic dessert for Memorial Day or the 4th of July. And you can easily leave off the chocolate, which is how I would normally make it. But I do love to make holidays special and sweet. While this recipe is good anytime of year, I must say that this is one recipe you'll want to tuck away for those hot summer days when you don't want to turn on the oven.
Enough rambling, let's get on with the recipe, shall we?
Chocolate-Covered-Strawberry Icebox Cake
honey graham crackers
3 cans of coconut cream (not coconut milk and not reduced fat)
about 2 tbsp. honey
washed and sliced fresh strawberries
1 bag dark chocolate chips, melted (optional)
The night before:
Put the cans of coconut cream in the fridge overnight. This step is crucial to making whipped cream so you cannot forget this step.
To make:
Open the cans of coconut cream and carefully drain off the excess liquid. You can save this for another use if you wish. Scoop out the thickened cream into a mixing bowl, and begin beating with your hand mixer until fluffy. Drizzle in about two tablespoons of honey, and continue to beat until incorporated and smooth.
In a 9x13 inch baking pan, place a single layer of graham crackers. Gently spread an even layer of the whipped cream over the crackers. Using an offset spatula makes this step a lot easier and less messy, but a knife works fine too. Then, scatter a layer of strawberries over the cream and finally drizzle with the melted chocolate (if using). Repeat with another layer of crackers, cream, berries and chocolate. Repeat one final time, finishing with a nice, thick drizzle of chocolate.
(If you are not using chocolate, simply sprinkle some graham cracker crumbs on the top.)
Set in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, though overnight is best.
The next day, simply cut and enjoy!
Notes:
~You can add blueberries for a patriotic dessert.
~You can leave off the chocolate.
~You can use other flavors of graham crackers.
~You can easily make a chocolate whipped cream by adding a bit of cacao powder, along with the honey.
~Be creative and come up with your own flavor combinations!



Oh my gosh, this looks amazing, Elizabeth. A perfect dessert for Valentine's Day. I hope you had a wonderful day.
ReplyDelete~Sheri
Hello dear friend...
ReplyDeleteMy, my but this looks delicious! I love how healthy it is too... I have to give this recipe a try very soon! {{smiles}} I am not a big lover of sweet treats (perhaps because I feel much too guilty eating them...unless of course it is home-baked cheesecake!), so this sounds like a dessert I would greatly enjoy! Thank you for sharing... Oh and your picture is so pretty!
Thinking of you and wishing you a glorious weekend!
Happy weekend, sweet friend!
DeleteOh, we love this dessert {{smiles}} I have been having such fun experimenting over the last year with healthier dessert recipes...I love baking and making treats every now and then, but don't like always having to use so much sugar and other ingredients that aren't super healthy. Also, I learned last year that dairy and I don't get on too well. I experimented several different times and learned the hard way that eating dairy too often or in too much quantity makes me feel so bad and yucky. Julia's the same way. I also did quite a bit of research on dairy and learned that it's not the easiest thing on your digestion system or skin, as well as some other things. All that to say, I'm loving finding new recipes that use either way less dairy or none at all! And come to find out, I much prefer these dairy-free recipes! Dairy for us is now a rare treat, and not part of our daily diets.
Anyways, enough rambling on about dairy {{winks}} Baking has been so much fun, though!
Wishing you a beautiful weekend, dear Kelly-Anne! Sending love to you and your family ♥