Happy Monday, friends!
I'm back today with yet another delicious, vegan recipe!
For the last eight years or so, I have this quirky little thing where I have to make pancakes whenever it snows. This started when I was watching a few shows and movies that are set in prairie times and the characters always seem to make and eat pancakes a lot when it is snowy. That sounded so homey and cozy to me, so the tradition started and has continued ever since. I will admit that I always made pancakes mostly for the idea of it...making the batter, drizzling maple syrup over hot pancakes straight from the skillet, and cozying up in the warm house whilst snow fell beautifully and softly outside. The pancakes tasted pretty good, but I did it mostly for the little vision I had in my head and because it seemed so old-fashioned and simple to me. Like stepping into the prairie times, which I've always had an affection for.
Last week, we got a couple nice snowfalls, for our corner of the world, that is. In total, we probably got about 5 inches, which is a blizzard here. So, of course, that meant I had to make pancakes. I decided to try a vegan recipe, as I am trying to add more of that type recipe to my repertoire, and I found this one. I made a few tweaks to suit the tastes of my family and the result? The best pancakes we'd ever eaten! My whole opinion of pancakes changed with one bite...and now we have declared this recipe the only recipe for pancakes we'll make.

Just look at how thick and fluffy these pancakes look. I noticed that the batter was very light and airy as I was making the pancakes, and it resulted in absolutely heavenly, divine pancakes. I hope you'll try these soon...you won't regret it! And perhaps, you'll adopt the snow-day-pancake-making tradition. It sure is a good one!
Heavenly Vegan Pancakes
2 cups organic, unbleached all-purpose flour
little less than 1/4 cup organic pure cane sugar
2 heaping tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 cups vanilla almond milk (a secret ingredient!)
2 tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients together. Pour in the milk, vinegar, and vanilla, and gently stir together. Don't overmix, and if there are some lumps, that's perfect. You don't want a smooth batter.
Allow the batter to rest on the counter for 10 minutes. This step is super important, as it allows the baking powder to do its thing and the batter becomes all light and airy and lovely.
Grease a skillet or griddle with a bit of coconut oil, and set the heat to medium-low. Once the skillet or griddle is hot, spoon the batter onto the surface wit ha 1/4 measuring cup. Let the pancake cook on the first side until bubbles begin to appear and then pop. The edges will begin to look set as well. Then, gently and easily flip it over, continuing to cook for another minute or two.
Top with coconut oil or a vegan "buttery" spread and real, pure maple syrup.
Enjoy!
Note: You could easily add vegan chocolate chips, bananas, peanut butter, blueberries, etc. to this batter to add a bit of fun to your plate. Next time, I'm going to make a variety for a little pancake party!
I want to quickly mention that I have finally updated "the kitchen" page here on my blog. All recipes both past and present are easily accessible there, and I will continue to update it as new recipes are added.
May your week be a marvelous one! ♥



We love pancakes in our home, Elizabeth. Thank you for sharing your recipe. We have a tradition in our home to make chocolate chip cookies when it snows. When the children were little they loved it! We enjoy pancakes for supper some evenings in winter. Our largest meal is eaten at noon, so this works great for us. You are so smart to have all of your special recipes in one place. I'll have to check them out. Have a lovely evening. ♥
ReplyDeleteThank you for your delightful visit! Ah, yes, pancakes are such a lovely snow-day tradition, and we, too, love them with chocolate chips! Lots of them :)
DeleteBlessings on your weekend!
You're going to smile dear Libby...here in South Africa we call these flapjacks! And our pancakes are what I think you'd call crepes...isn't that funny? I have a dear American friend who lives close by... We always laugh about our different names for these treats! Hmm...I love both pancakes and flap jacks on a rainy day! Such a lovely post dear Libby! Hugs to you...
ReplyDeleteThank you, dear Kelly-Anne, for your sweet visit! Ah, I have heard of pancakes being called flapjacks, but never of pancakes being called crepes! {{winks}} That's sort of like how us American folks call biscuits what the European folks call scones. Though, I must say that I think we eat them a bit differently sometimes. It's so interesting (and funny!) learning what other cultures call things...the veggies in Europe are called entirely different things than here in the States...but it offers a bit of fun and learning. Hee!
DeleteAnd I have to agree with you...pancakes (or flapjacks!) are perfect on a rainy day.
Thinking of you, sweet friend! Love to you!
Oh, these look like Yummy pancakes. They are one of my favorite breakfast'. I want to thank you for following us. I see Martha Ellen up above; she's a sweet and wonderful lady. You have such a lovely blog filled with simplicity and special words and pictures. I hope the new year is being kind to you so far, and it's nice to meet new friends.
ReplyDelete~Sheri
Thank you for your kind words and lovely visit to my blog...welcome! It's always a treat to meet new friends :) Your blog is absolutely delightful and I so enjoyed reading the latest post about the beautiful Carmel-by-the-Sea, which I have since added to my list of places I must visit!
DeleteI hope you'll come by again soon, and thank you so much for following along ♥
Blessings on your weekend! Joy and peace be with you!
We are Vegan and I have been missing good pancakes and hunting for the perfect recipe. Finally...found them,thanks so much. I don't like flat pancakes and all the others I've tried are flat. These are fluffy and yummy!
ReplyDelete