Wednesday, January 17

Cranberry Date Bars


Over the weekend, I made a batch of one of our favorite treats. Cranberry date bars, or balls, in this case, have been a lovely sweet treat around here for a couple years now. I don't make them often, simply because I have a TON of recipes that I like to cycle through, but when I do, they go fast! 

Several years ago, I began seeing dates used in many recipes for desserts and snacks. At first, I was a bit skeptical, but once my sister tried making vegan caramel with dates, I was quickly won over. In fact, now I much prefer date caramel to the real stuff! Over the last year or so, we have tried many different types of recipes that use healthier ingredients and have found them just as good, if not better, than the regular recipes. And this is one of them!

As I mentioned in the last recipe post I shared, we try to avoid dairy as much as possible. Experimenting with vegan cooking and baking has been fun and interesting. Fortunately, most of the recipes we've tried have been winners, and I've also enjoyed converting many old favorites to vegan.

I hope you will give these a try, as I'm sure they will become a hit in your home! Just one or maybe two, and your sweet tooth will be satisfied!

Cranberry Date Bars

1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 tbsp. flaxseed
2 tbsp. sunflower kernels
3/4 cup almonds
3/4 cup pecans
3/4 cup raisins
1 cup pitted, dried dates
3 tbsp. oats
3 tbsp. peanut butter (or another nut butter)
2 tbsp. agave nectar

Combine all in a food processor until well mixed. Press into a parchment paper lined sheet tray and freeze until set, about 30 minutes to 1 hour. You could also roll the mixture into small balls and freeze until set. Cut into bars, and serve.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm...these do sound lovely! I love dates...I might just have to try these! Thank you for the recipe, my friend! Oh...I wanted to tell you that your sweet card arrived in my mailbox yesterday! Thank you so very much...it brightened my week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad that the card arrived! I sent it a bit before Christmas, so it did take awhile!

      I'm getting aboard the date train, as they are quickly becoming a favorite ingredient in our home! We keep several boxes on hand in the fridge all the time, especially when we find them on sale. Although, for this recipe, I used the dried kind in a bag. I do believe either kind would work, though.

      I hope you are doing well and enjoying a nice summer! We're right in the middle of a proper winter here and I'm loving it! In fact, for the last week, it's actually been colder here down south than it is up north! That's crazy! And we got more snow on Monday, which was unexpected, and I'm dreaming of more already...it makes the wintertime so much prettier and bright and less dreary and colorless. Here things are brown in the winter, so it's nice to see some white!

      Anyways, I hope to chat with you soon...sending love and hugs to you, dear friend!

      Delete
  2. Oh, what a lovely recipe, Elizabeth! I haven't bought dates in while, but I do adore them. Thank you for bringing them to mind. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the delightful comment ♥ Yes, dates are a favorite around here, too!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting Inkberry Hill Cottage! You are warmly welcome to share in a comment. I love chatting with kindred spirits about all things cozy, homey, and delightful!

Thank you for being here! ♥ May you notice magical moments in the nooks and crannies and tiniest pieces of your day!