Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire; it is the time for home.
-Edith Sitwell-
Winter is the perfect time to savour home comforts...from the blazing hearthfire to mugs full of hot chocolate or herbal tea, simmering soup on the stovetop and twinkling fairy lights...there are countless things that speak coziness when the air is nippy and the skies are grey. And then, you're just wishing for a good snow to fall...or is that just me? (Instead, we're just having a lot of rain.)
Winter is also the perfect excuse to get in the kitchen and do a bit of baking. What better treat to bake up for your family than some delicious old-fashioned gingerbread? This is such a wintry, cozy sweet treat to enjoy. It's just enough spice evened out with just the right amount of sugar. Truly, it's splendid in every way...and the scent? Heavenly and blissful!
I like to serve this gingerbread with a nice dollop of whipped cream...and having just discovered the wonderful-ness of almond milk Reddi Whip, that's my go-to at the moment. A steaming cup of coffee or tea is also a delightful companion to this gingery bread...choose whatever you fancy.
Now on to the recipe...
Old-Fashioned Gingerbread
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup pure cane sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup molasses
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup boiling water
In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Whisk until smooth and thoroughly combined. Add the egg and molasses and continue to whisk until mixed together well.
Gently stir in the flour, salt, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon with a wooden spoon. Stir well, and make sure to get all the flour incorporated.
Carefully pour in the boiling water, slowing stirring while you do so. Make sure everything is completely mixed together...you don't want to see any flour.
Pour batter into an 8x11 inch greased baking pan. Bake in a 350*F oven for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Allow the gingerbread to cool completely before slicing. Then serve with whipped cream or sift a bit of powdered sugar on top. Whatever you fancy!
Enjoy with coffee or tea...
Winter is like an extending sabbath. The season draws us into a simpler, quieter way of life, if we let it. Our bodies and spirits crave the fireside on cold nights; we are hungry for heartier meals; and we're ready for bed sooner. We rest, cozy and comforted. It's what we were designed to do. This is winter's rhythm. Don't simply endure it, embrace it.
-Bonnie Sours Smith-
May your Wednesday be a delight, my readers!
♥



Happy New Year, sweet friend! Ah, what a delight this morning to pop in for a visit. I trust you are well and I hope your New Year is off to a beautiful start.
ReplyDeleteYour gingerbread looks ever so tasty. Mmmm...how I would love to have a piece with you while we enjoyed a cup of tea {{smiles}} Have a blessed day! Hugs to you!
I love gingerbread, we usually use Once Upon a Chef's recipe. I haven't had it enough recently.
ReplyDeleteOh, these look scrumptious, Libby dear!
ReplyDeleteAt the moment my family are experiencing their first ever "real" winter in China...snow and freezing cold days! Something completely different for us South Africans! They've been doing a lot of baking these past months!
We are actually flying out to visit them next month!! And we were able to get a family visa...so we can stay till June!!! Anyway....I would looove to send you a couple postcards from China! Would you mind resending me your postal address! I've been terrible with keeping up communication lately.... I've missed our chats!
Blessings to you....and much love!
P.S. Hope you get some snow in the next couple days!
Elizabeth, your gingerbread looks wonderful. And this is the first I've heard of almond milk whipped cream--that will come in handy when I'm entertaining my dairy-free friends. I'll have mine with a cup of tea, please!
ReplyDelete