Thursday, October 11

Creating Peaceful Evening Rituals ♥ Tea Time


Our days consist of many moments, tasks, opportunities, responsibilities, etc. There comes a time in the evening when one needs to settle down, quiet your heart and just be still. Our bodies need and require rest. They crave stillness, quiet, and a pause. This is where the blessing of an evening ritual comes in. And, friend, I want to share a simple idea with you.

Cultivating an evening ritual is not hard, though it can take some discipline and diligence to keep and not ignore. It can be easy to just think that it's not important or necessary or that there's something far better or more useful you could be doing with that time. But I'd argue that those are lies. You need to fill your own cup so that you can pour out to your family and those around you. 
  
Your evening ritual doesn't have to be anything fancy, complicated or involved. My idea is to simply make yourself a cup of tea...something warm soothes both your soul and body. It warms you from the inside out and just makes your body calm down and relax. I'd suggest picking out a beautiful mug to drink your tea from. Beauty speaks. It is lifegiving. And quite simply, it makes you happy. Pick out a flavor tea that sounds delicious...I'd recommend a decaffeinated herbal tea for evening time. Then, allow it to steep. Breathe in the aroma of the tea and watch the bag swirl around in the mug. Pause, be still and let your hands enfold around the mug and let the warmth draw you in.

You can feel it, can't you? Peace, calm, stillness, quiet. 

Delight.

This is the perfect time to open that novel that's sitting on the coffee table, or put in a show that makes you laugh. Nothing heavy or serious. Turn on a bit of classical music and let the notes float in the room, drifting up higher and higher. Perhaps gather your family together and play a board game. Clue is a favorite around here. Light some delicious smelling candles, turn down the lights and let the soft glow of a flickering flame settle your soul.

This is about stilling your heart, allowing your body to rest and giving life to your soul once again. This needs to be a daily occurrence, no matter how simple your ritual may be. I know that when I give myself this little retreat at the end of the day, I am much more able to sleep better, wake up in a good, happy mood, and have a pleasant, productive day. I also know that when I don't offer myself this bit of peace and calm and delight, my stress and anxiety build, my body tenses up and my mind is too full and won't be able to shut off so that I can get a good night's sleep. 

The ritual of evening tea is one that gives life to you in more ways than one can count. You'll come away refreshed, renewed, rejuvenated. It's not a magic formula, it's just a simple cup of tea. 

What's something you like to do to create peace and calm in your evenings? Do share below!