Saturday, August 12

The Sisters' Birthdays & Chicken Pot Pie Stuffed Shells

Hello, friends! I am sitting on our comfy couch on this Saturday evening, relaxing and chilling out after a day of celebrations. Julia's birthday was today and she turned 20! It's really been a couple weeks of celebrations in our home. My birthday was first (I turned 23), then we had my dad's big day, and of course, today was all about Julia. We even had three of our pets' birthdays thrown in there, too. It's been so fun!

Today I thought I would share a few pictures from our two-weeks-of-birthdays as well as a family favorite recipe. I hope you enjoy!

As I mentioned, my birthday was first, at the end of July. My day was filled spent antique shopping, which I love, and hanging out with my mom and sister. That night, Julia cooked a lovely meal at home (just what I like!) and baked my most favorite cake....hot fudge strawberry shortcake. I'm telling you, it was heaven on a plate {{smiles}}

Today (Saturday) was Julia's birthday and it was just a chilled out day at home. We are real homebodies, can you tell?!?!?! I cooked a meal of her choice (recipe below!) and I even got to try a brand new cake recipe that she picked out. She and I really, really love cookie dough, and this recipe just called out to us! It was divine! 



Yes, that is cookie dough as the filling...and no, it did not have raw eggs in it, though I can't say that's stopped me from eating a spoonful in the past {{winks}}

I had such fun playing around in the kitchen and getting to try a new recipe. I had a specific vision in my head as to how I wanted it to turn out, and I must say I was very pleased with the results. I felt just like I was on The Great British Bake-Off!

The recipe I'm sharing with you today is the meal that Julia chose for her birthday. Comfort foods are one of life's little pleasures, and there's nothing like them. Two comfort foods that come to mind are chicken pot pie and pasta, so what's better than to combine the two? I created this recipe about three year ago on Mother's Day, and it's been a favorite ever since. I hadn't made it in over a year, so I forgot how delicious they were...home comforts at their finest!


Chicken Pot Pie Stuffed Shells

3 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped 
12-ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables
2 cups milk
1 cup half and half (you can use all milk if you prefer)
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
12-ounce box large shell pasta (cook, drain, rinse and cool)
4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (I don't measure this, I just sprinkle a little on top.)


In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour, salt, and pepper once the butter is melted. Gradually pour in the milk and half and half, whisking until smooth. Bring to a boil and continue whisking as it thickens. Once thickened, pour in the mixed veggies and chicken. Cook over low heat for about 8 minutes.

To fill the shells: Spoon a couple tablespoons of the filling into each shell. Place in a prepared 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over top. (You can add as much or as little as you like. I prefer just a little sprinkling, but if you really love cheese, or want to go all out, use as much as you like.) 

Bake at 350 F for about 20-25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Serve and enjoy!


May your Sunday be a lovely and relaxing day!!

Blessings on your week ahead ♥

2 comments:

  1. Ahh lovely friend...what a delightful post...and such beautiful pictures of you and Julia! Precious sisters! Happiest of birthdays to dear Julia on her twentieth birthday! Now we are officially the same age! And I feel just awful....I missed your birthday, dearest friend! I don't know what happened to July, but I definitely lost a good few weeks! Oh my, so terrible of me! Wishing you a belated blessed 23rd birthday, lovely Libby! Can't wait to write you a letter...been much too long! I've missed you! I am so glad your family have enjoyed some wonderful celebrations....wish I could have been there too! Such amazing looking cakes! Hmmm...
    Big hugs to you, Libby dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new week, dear friend!

      I always love your visits and getting to chat a bit with you....I hope you are well on this Monday morning. (It's still Sunday night here {{smiles}} )

      Yes! You and Julia are now both twenty....how fun is that! My mom was just saying yesterday that now both of her children are in their twenties- that is SO weird! Hee!!

      Thank you for the birthday wishes! You need not feel bad for forgetting...you have had so much on your plate and going on in your life!

      Looking forward to talking again soon :) Do have a lovely week, dear Kelly-Anne ♥

      Hugs to you!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting Inkberry Hill Cottage! You are warmly welcome to share in a comment. I love chatting with kindred spirits about all things cozy, homey, and delightful!

Thank you for being here! ♥ May you notice magical moments in the nooks and crannies and tiniest pieces of your day!