The one thing I knew I wanted for my birthday last month was to add to my growing Susan Branch book collection. My mom and sister got me a handful of her older books as well as a preorder for her upcoming winter book, which I am excitedly awaiting. When I was looking through each of the books, I came across a letter tucked inside the back of Vineyard Seasons, a letter from a father to his daughter in June 1999. This is one of the *many* reasons why I tend towards used books...sometimes you find the sweetest notes tucked inside the back flaps or even written on the inside cover. Here’s what the note said:
Dear Kristen,How are you? I am fine. I’m tired of editing sports. Amelia is in the other room figuring pricing- and she is meeting with her girlfriend Anne and husband to walk at 4:00 pm. I think I’ll go home then too.
I had breakfast with Bill on Monday. He and Ash just got back from Costa Rica. He sounded good. I guess Monday was yesterday.
I made stewed sprouts and also I cooked cabbage and kielbasa. I have 2 jars of it. It will last all week.
This is a neat book. The lady Sue Branch is like you. I met her once. She is one of Amelia’s good friends. She lives on Martha’s Vineyard.
Anyway I thought you would like it.
Love,
Dad
P.S. I hope I’m sending it to the proper address. This is an old used book. I hope customs understands. Pop.
Little notes like this, evidence of someone’s ordinary, everyday life, tucked into a book, found 27 years later, somehow make the world seem smaller and remind me that everyone out there is just living their own little life. Reminders of the beauty tucked into ordinary days and the sweetness in small, little things. I don’t know if I’m the only one who finds things like this heartwarming, but maybe it made you smile a bit today.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting Inkberry Hill Cottage! You are warmly welcome to share in a comment. I love chatting with kindred spirits about all things cozy, homey, and delightful!
Thank you for being here! ♥ May you notice magical moments in the nooks and crannies and tiniest pieces of your day!